Sunday, December 1, 2013

Plus ca change...

Plus c'est la meme chose! 

"The more things change, the more things stay the same...." Or so the French saying goes. 

And like my boss's boss, who can express a million sentiments in just a few words, that phrase screams volumes. It pretty much sums up my Thanksgiving weekend. (Alas, I have not yet developed the "read a million meanings between the words of my one lined message" skill...)

Change: Busier than ever at work, with a challengingly fun project under foot
Same: Carving out down time erases the stress and makes me whole; I sure am grateful for the four day weekend! 

Change: While many Americans were out celebrating Consumer Day, er, Black Friday, I worked diligently on my own version of Buy Nothing Day to get rid of meaningless clutter. 3 trips to the Goodwill dropoff, woot!
Same: There is still clutter. Just less of it. But more concentrated.

Change: Andy and I cleaned up our front room so that we would actually use it (before, half of it was his music area, the other half was clutter, and a kitty tree)
Same: well, it's still the same room. But it's a heckuva lot better place to be!

Change: Year, hours.
Same: Still ridin' bikes. I guess we're lifers.

One more week in Ashevegas before I return to California for another whirlwind trip of office visits and working sessions and HOLIDAY PARTY. If you have to travel in December, leaving the cool climes of Western North Carolina for the balmy West coast is not the worst thing to do...

Two "before" snapshots of our front room (now renamed the Library). The orange and yellow of the walls set me on edge every time I went in there... which might be why it was so neglected.

Lots o' clutter... I hesitate to post this... but oh well. Here it is.
Artie supervising Andy's painting efforts...
Voila! Same room, different look. We finished Friday, and we've hung out in here every night since. Artie is curled up next to me on the blue futon as I type....
 

And so here is my official Thanksgiving 2013 post. It feels like, more so than ever before, I have so much to appreciate. WOO the f' HOO!






2 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Yay de-cluttering. I feel like I have been doing so for 13 years of my dad's stuff.